A couple related items:
- Our (fully reproducible) code is available on Github.
- The data we used for all simulations is too large for Github but is available on OSF.
- The published version is substantially improved (thanks to six very thorough peer reviewers), but here’s the original pre-print.
- UCSF put out a press release here.
- Nathan’s informative tweetorial about the paper is here.
- SF Chronicle coverage.
- The correction notice resulting from Dr. Lee Altenberg’s letter which pointed out an error in how we calculated the post-quarantine infectious days. We thank Dr. Lee Altenberg for finding and reporting this error.
- Our reply to both Dr. Altenberg’s letter and Dr. Mohammad Shahid’s letter.
In addition to (hopefully) being useful, this project was a lot of fun — especially considering the urgency. A lot of time was saved because it was built on open-source code from another paper. Still, this one went from an idea Nathan and I chatted about to a pre-print in a little over a month, went through expedited review (fun fact: that’s what the little bird icon is on the top of some Lancet papers) in a month, then returned back to the journal with revisions and accepted in about another month, and finally went through a couple rounds of super helpful editorial revisions and proofing in a month.
When it was all said and done, we went from an idea to a published manuscript in just under 5 months. I’ve literally had other papers under review for that entire duration — The Lancet journals are not messing around when they call it expedited review. Special thanks to Elizabeth Chin for help with the coding infrastructure and Nathan Lo for supervising the whole thing.