I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Population Health at Stanford University School of Medicine. I received my doctorate from the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health. Before that, I received my MPH at New York University, my BA in Sociology from San Diego State University, I was a 2016 fellow at University of Chicago’s Data Science for Social Good summer fellowship, and a Fellow at the Harvard FXB Center for Health and Human Rights
My research lies at the intersection of computational social science and social epidemiology. Methodologically, my work revolves around combining disparate data sources in epidemiologically meaningful ways. For example, I work with individual-level, non-health data (e.g., GPS, accelerometer, and other sensor data from smartphones), traditional health data (e.g., survey, health systems, or death certificate data), and third-party data (e.g., cellphone providers or ad-tech data). To do this, I use a variety of methods such as joint Bayesian spatial models, traditional epidemiologic models, dynamical models, microsimulation, and demographic analysis.
Substantively, my work focuses on socioeconomic and racial/ethnic inequities in health. A few current projects include (1) my K99/R00-funded work focused on reducing racial/ethnic inequities in the treatment of opioid use disorder; (2) my work with CrisisReady on quantifying the impacts of wildfires, natural disasters, climate change, and power outages on medically-vulnerable populations to inform equitable disaster response; and (3) my work with the COVID-19 Mobility Data Network on leveraging third-party data to evaluate and inform public health interventions to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chang H-H, Chang M-C, Kiang MV, Mahmud AS, Ekapirat N, Engø-Monsen K, Sudathip P, Prempree Preecha, Buckee CO, & Maude RJ, Low parasite connectivity among three malaria hotspots in Thailand, Scientific Reports (December 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-02746-6 [Open Access]
- Kiang MV, Tsai AC, Alexander MJ, Rehkopf DH, & Basu S, Racial/ethnic disparities in opioid-related mortality in the US, 1999–2019: The extreme case of Washington DC, Journal of Urban Health (October 2021), doi: 10.1007/s11524-021-00573-8 [Code]
- Huynh BQ, Kwong LH, Kiang MV, Mohareb AM, Jumaan AO, Basu S, Geldsetzer P, Karaki FM, & Rehkopf DH, Public health impacts of an imminent Red Sea oil spill, Nature Sustainability (October 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41893-021-00774-8. [Pre-print version] [Open Access] [Invited commentary] [Stanford Press Release] [BBC] [CNN] [The Guardian] [Al Jazeera] [The World] [i24]
- Kiang MV, Barnett ML, Wakeman SE, Humphreys K, & Tsai AC, Robustness of estimated access to opioid treatment providers in rural vs. urban areas of the United States, Drug and Alcohol Dependence (September 2021), doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.109081 [Code and Data]
- Wrigley-Field E, Kiang MV, Riley AR, Barbieri M, Chen Y-H, Duchowny KA, Matthay EC, Van Riper D, Jegathesan K, Bibbins-Domingo K, & Leider JP, Geographically targeted COVID-19 vaccination is more equitable than age-based thresholds alone, Science Advances (September 2021), doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abj2099. [Pre-print version] [Open Access] [Code and Data]
- Balsari S, Kiang MV, & Buckee CO, Data in Crisis — Rethinking disaster response in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine (September 2021), doi: 10.1056/NEJMms2104654 [PDF] [HSPH media]
- Kiang MV, Chen JT, Krieger N, Buckee CO, Alexander MJ, Baker JT, Buckner RL, Coombs III G, Rich-Edwards JW, Carlson KW, & Onnela JP, Sociodemographic characteristics of missing data in digital phenotyping, Scientific Reports (July 2021) doi: 10.1038/s31598-021-94516-7. [Pre-print version] [Open Access] [Code]
- Satinsky EN, Kimura T, Kiang MV, Abebe R, Carlson CJ, Cunningham S, Lee H, Lin X, Liu CH, Rudan I, Sen S, Tomlinson M, Yaver M, & Tsai AC, Systematic review and meta-analysis of depression, anxiety, and suicidal ideation among Ph.D. students. Scientific Reports (July 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-93687-7
- Kiang MV & Tsai AC, Failure of leadership in U.S. academic medicine after George Floyd’s killing by police and amidst subsequent unrest, Annals of Epidemiology (May 2021), doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.04.018 [Pre-print version] [Reproducible code and supplement]
- Elser H, Parks RM, Moghavem N, Kiang MV, Bozinov N, Henderson VW, Rehkopf DH, & Casey JA, Anomalously warm weather and acute care visits in patients with multiple sclerosis: A retrospective study of privately insured individuals in the US. PLOS Medicine (April 2021), doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1003580. [Open Access]
- Ferguson JM†, Magid H†, Purnell AL, Kiang MV, & Osborne TF, Differences in COVID-19 testing and test positivity among Veterans, United States, 2020. Public Health Reports (April 2021), doi: 10.1177/00333549211009498. [†First authors contributed equally.]
- Kiang MV, Chin ET, Huynh BQ, Chapman LAC, Rodríguez-Barraquer I, Greenhouse B, Rutherford GW, Bibbins-Domingo K, Havlir D, Basu S, & Lo NC, Routine asymptomatic testing strategies for airline travel during the COVID-19 pandemic: a simulation study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases (March 2021), doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00134-1. [Reproducible code and data] [UCSF media] [Pre-print version] [Blog post] [NPR’s A1] [ABC News] [The Lancet ID Editor’s Choice July 2021] [Correction Notice] [Letter by Dr. Altenberg] [Letter by Dr. Shahid] [Our Reply]
- Matthay EC, Kiang MV, Elser H, Schmidt LA, & Humphreys K, Evaluation of state cannabis laws and rates of self-harm and assault, JAMA Network Open (March 2021), doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.1955. [Invited commentary] [UCSF media] [Stanford media] [Open Access]
- Salje H, Wesolowski A, Brown TS, Kiang MV, Berry IM, Lefrancq N, Fernandez S, Jarman R, Ruchusatsawat K, Iamsirithaworn S, Vandepitte W, Suntarattiwong P, Klungthong C, Thaisomboonsuk B, Engø-Monsen K, Buckee CO‡, Cauchemez S‡, & Cummings DA‡, Reconstructing unseen transmission events to infer dengue dynamics from viral sequences, Nature Communications (March 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-21888-9. [Pre-print version] [‡Senior authors contributed equally] [Open Access]
- Brown TS, Engø-Monsen K, Kiang MV, Mahmud AS, Maude RJ, & Buckee CO, The impact of mobility network properties on predicted epidemic dynamics in Dhaka and Bangkok, Epidemics (February 2021) doi: 10.1016/j.epidem.2021.100441. [Pre-print version] [Open Access]
- Casey JA, Mango M, Mullendore S, Kiang MV, Hernández D, Li B, Li K, Im TM, & Tartof SY, Trends from 2008 to 2018 in electricity-dependent durable medical equipment rentals and sociodemographic disparities, Epidemiology (February 2021), doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000001333
- Baum LVM, Bruzelius E, Kiang MV, Humphreys K, Basu S, & Baum A, Analysis of unused prescription opioids and benzodiazepines remaining after death among Medicare decedents, Drug and Alcohol Dependence (February 2021), doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108502
- Elser H†, Kiang MV†, John EM, Simard JF, Bondy M, Nelson LM, Chen W, Linos E, The impact of the first COVID-19 shelter-in-place announcement on social distancing, difficulty in daily activities, and levels of concern in the San Francisco Bay Area: A cross-sectional social media survey, PLOS One (January 2021), doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0244819. [Pre-print version] [Open Access]
- Kiang MV†, Santillana M†, Chen JT, Onnela J-P, Krieger N, Engø-Monsen K, Ekapirat N, Areechokchai D, Prempree P, Maude RJ‡, & Buckee CO‡, Incorporating human mobility data improves forecasts of Dengue fever in Thailand, Scientific Reports (January 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-79438-0. [Pre-print version] [†First authors contributed equally] [‡Senior authors contributed equally]
- Elser H, Parks RM, Moghavem N, Kiang MV, Bozinov N, Henderson VW, Rehkopf DH, & Casey JA, Anomalously warm weather and acute care visits in patients with multiple sclerosis: A retrospective study of privately insured individuals in the US. American Academy of Neurology Virtual Annual Meeting 2021: Online (April 2021). [Selected for press release]
- Ferguson J, Magid H, Purnell A, Kiang MV, & Osborne T, Evaluating potential disparities in COVID-19 testing and test positivity in the veterans health administration. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting 2020: Online (October 2020).
- Matthay EC, Kiang MV, Elser H, Glymour MM, Schmidt LA, & Humphreys K, Association of recreational cannabis laws with self-harm and assault injuries. Interdisciplinary Association for Population Health Sciences Annual Conference 2020: Online (September 2020).
- Faculty Mentor, Advancing Health Equity and Diversity (AHEaD)Fellowship (Summer 2021), Stanford University School of Medicine [Stanford Report] [Stanford Scope Blog]
- Instructor, Big Data and Infectious Disease Epidemiology (September 2019), People’s Republic of Bangladesh Directorate General of Health Services
- Course developer (x2), Using Python for Research via HarvardX V1 (November 2016) and V2 (January 2018), HSPH, Professor Jukka-Pekka Onnela
- Instructor, Intro to Causal Inference for Data Science Workshop (March 2017), Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México
- Teaching assistant (x2), Dynamics of Infectious Disease (Spring 2017 and Spring 2018), HSPH, Professor Caroline Buckee
- Teaching assistant, Society and Health (Fall 2013), HSPH, Professor Ichiro Kawachi
- Teaching assistant, Biostatistics II (Spring 2010), NYU, Professor Ying Lu
- Teaching assistant, Statistics I (Fall 2009), NYU, Professor Robert Norman
†First authors contributed equally.
‡Senior authors contributed equally.
§Best student poster award.